Thursday, October 25, 2012

If Life Exists

Saw D in my office today.  Frantic at first, as usual, but easily settled by my mellifluous voice and calm demeanor.

People yearn to be comforted.  Did you know, Dear Eater?  Surely you did, if not before you met me, doubtless now you understand a person's need for comfort.  An understanding nod at an opportune time, sometimes, is all it takes.

D confided in me about many troubles, all stemming from certain knowledge of someone lurking unseen inside D's squat suburban domicile.  D's rational mind knows it's impossible, of course.  But D's intuition is strong, and not so easily disabled by reason.

For a counselor of less flexible mind, it would be a pitfall.  A bad liar would join a growing din of doubters, assuring D it is not possible, so clearly not possible for someone to remain unseen in a place for so long, waiting, lurking, seeing but not being seen.  Before long trust would be eroded, until D gradually drifted away, wandering until finally discovering someone else...  someone like myself.  Someone to comfort.  Someone to believe.

It is easy for me to believe, of course.  An unseen figure is indeed lurking in D's darkened corners.

I know because D's unseen figure is me.


No comments:

Post a Comment