Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Get Some

I suppose reading Klosterman's book was a mistake.  Of course Klosterman made a mistake writing it - a conclusion  so obvious we need not write too many words about it.  But reading it may be an an even bigger mistake.

If you're unfamiliar (and I strongly suggest you stay so) our favorite middlebrow sportswriter a few years ago crapped out a standard-issue Counselor-to-a-Bad-Guy novel.  No real twists, unimaginative, forgettable stuff for sure, but I really was angry at Klosterman's lazy, sloppy treatment of our "villain's" project.

Surely more imaginative ways exist, I was certain, to make use of effective invisibility.  Figure it out and you don't need to resort to lazy nonsense about computer networks making us lonely and antisocial (very original, CK, bravo, BTW 1987 called - it wants its dystopian future back) or drawn-out, flaccid passages building to crescendoes of utter narrative paralysis.  

Our first task of course is effective invisibility itself.  We needn't put it in fantastic terms - our problem is quite simple.  Can we see and not be seen?  A new Sweet Science, we could say, for a more visual age.  

I would say more but due to circumstances quite beyond my control, and closely connected to our unfolding narrative, time is precious and I must away.  After I return to my House I will explain.  

dbj

No comments:

Post a Comment